Caring for linen items is rather simple and straightforward. Here are some basic rules you may follow to make the most of your linen articles.
If you wash by hand:
- Take a small bucket or use a sink with lukewarm water and add a teaspoon of mild detergent.
- Immerse the linen item into your container and let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir gently the item around. Do not twist the fabric because it may stretch the fabric.
- Empty the soapy water and rinse a couple of times until all the soap residue is totally gone. Hang your item to dry.
If you machine wash your linen:
- Avoid mixing white, dark and coloured items. It is advised to turn your linen inside out and wash separately from other fabrics. Do not overload the machine.
- To be energy efficient and to preserve the life span of your linen, wash it in lukewarm water only. Excessive temperature may cause a shrinkage of over 5%, which could be a serious issue for items such as bed skirts or curtains.
- Use only mild detergent formulated for delicate fabrics.
- Do not use bleach.
- Never pour detergent directly on dry linen as that may stain the fabric. Always dilute the detergent before putting it into your machine.
- Avoid electric dryers or use at a low or medium setting to avoid damaging the linen fabric and getting excessive shrinkage.
- If you can hang dry your linen, the wind and the sun will do a better job.